Copy Paste is the most common action when you start to work with Excel.
Benefits of the action Copy Paste in Excel
With Excel, you can copy any cell or any range of cell
- Select the cell you want to copy and click on the following icon "Copy" in the Home tab.
- Just after you see an animation with dotted lines moving (the dancing ants 😉) This indication means that the cell has been copied in the contain of the cell is in the memory of the computer.
- Then, select the cell where you want to paste the contain of the first cell
- Click on the Paste icon.
- All the contain of the first cell (color, font, borders, formula) is transferred to the second cell.
You can also use the following shortcut to perform the same action
|Copy contents of the selection to the clipboard
|Ctrl + C
|Paste contents of the clipboard.
|Ctrl + V
When you want to copy / paste on adjacent cells, it is faster to do this action with the mouse. In the bottom-right corner of a cell, you notice a square: it's the fill-handle.
Whatever the contained of your original cell you just have to click and drag to copy this cells.
If you have a single value, use the fill-handle will copy the same value. If you press Ctrl, you extend the series.
Increase series automatically
The fill-handle helps you to increase series of values automatically. NO FORMULA needed 😉
Duplicate column with the Ctrl Key
If you want to duplicate a column, the easiest way is to
- Select the column you want to duplicate
- Move the cursor to the edge of the selection
- Press the Ctrl key
- Drag and Drop BUT never release the Ctrl Key
Copy a formula
When the cell contains a formula, Excel automatically changes the references of the formula.
Let's copy cell C2 to the range C3:C6.
Automatically, Excel has changed the references of the cells in the formulas 😉
You can "block" the cell references by putting the $ sign on both sides of the reference to ensure that references do not move. To avoid mistake with the reference of the cells, refer to this article.
Tutorial video with all the tricks
If you want to know more tricks with the copy-paste, have a look at this video